Tuesday, August 4, 2009

EVERYTHING MATTERS!


Hello, person who stumbled upon this blog while investigating the epitaph in Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. While you're here, permit me to recommend a book you (as a Vonnegut reader) will no doubt enjoy. You may even fall in love with it.

It's Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr. The book was published by Viking last summer, so it's still warm off the presses. And, though it has gotten far less than the attention it deserved, several critics named Everything Matters! in their year-end best lists. Also, E.M.! was nominated for a handful of literary awards, and its film rights were optioned by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, the director of The Lives of Others.

So, if you have the chance, read Everything Matters!

Ron Currie Jr.'s first book--God Is Dead (a collection of linked stories, or a novel in stories, depending on whom you believe)--won major awards. Everything Matters! is Currie's second book, and it garnered rave reviews in major newspapers.

And, as I mentioned, it's really, beautifully, compellingly good.

Sorry for repeating myself. And sorry for gushing. But nope, I have never met Ron Currie Jr., though we have corresponded. He's a good guy.

Let me add that I've read all of Kurt Vonnegut's novels, including his first two or three. They're pretty good, but they don't compare in quality or ambition to what Currie is doing at this stage in his career.

Read this book. It will change your life.

1 comment:

  1. I was and remain a huge KV fan. I was a student in the 1980's and I used to work summers over in the States. In a Salvation Army store in Plymouth, Mass I pulled a first edition of Breakfast of Champions from a skip full of books. Myself and my girlfriend met Kurt Vonnegut at a theatre on Cape Cod a few weeks later and he signed my book for me. I still treasure it.

    ReplyDelete